There are 2 options for those with Type 2 Diabetes:
1. Continue with your current behavior and deal with the inevitable consequences
2. MAKE A CHANGE TO IMPROVE YOUR LIFE!
It all starts with you being honest with yourself.
You have to be ready to take the necessary steps to make these changes.
There are 5 Stages of Change
- You beleive you are fine as is – no change necessary
- You are aware of a problem – considering doing something about it
- You plan on taking action in the next month or so
- You modify your behavior and take action to change
- Your starting to keep consistent progress toward change
Make small and easy changes in your day-to-day lifestyle. Take the stairs instead of the elevator when heading into work. Stand up and sit back down 5 times during every commercial of your favorite television show. Park a little further away from the store when going shopping. Get outside and walk around the block 2 times a week. You have to start somewhere, NOW IS THE TIME! Start slow, keep it simple.
The best way to go forward with this is to work with an exercise phsyiologist, along with your physician, to come up with the most ideal exercise plan for you.
Small and simple healthy subsitutions can really effect our diet. Cut down on the sugar and cream in your morning coffee. Substitute seltzer water with lemon for your daily diet cola. Going out to eat? Substitute a side salad for that side of fries with your sandwich. Record your daily food intake, it will help you to better understand what you are eating and drinking and where your calories are coming from. Simple steps really do add up!
*All changes to exercise and diet should be first approved by your physician.